Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a resource for our ADA customers’ designated HR representatives regarding questions related to ADA, integrated leave management procedures, FMLA process, and STD/LTD claims management.
- Provides consultation and education to customer about individual readiness or projected readiness of their employee to stay at work or return to work as well as ADA considerations
- Obtain or review medical information to determine whether to provide recommendation to customer regarding qualification of employee for worksite modification and identify possible worksite modifications for employees who present medical conditions or functional limitations that impact their abilities to perform work tasks or disrupt productivity levels. Consider when to recommend or follow through on customer’s request to coordinate independent medical evaluations.
- Partner with appropriate Unum entities, including the Law Department, clinical and vocational resources, and our disability/leave organizations, to effectively deliver the service.
- Remain current in education regarding state insurance privacy laws and HIPAA and assist customer in identifying issues when communicating regarding medical information.
- Track what modifications are provided by the customer and ensure proper documentation on all interactions and customers’ modification decisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Unum or as requested by our customer and approved by Unum.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, relevant business experience
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in disability management, leave management, workers compensation administration, clinical and/or vocational rehabilitation, disability case management, or human resources
- Grounding in legal issues pertaining to disability and absence management, particularly knowledge of FMLA, ADA, and state leave laws
- Proven excellence in using persuasion and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated collaborative behavior and being a strong team player
- Strong creativity and problem-solving skills, including ability to analyze impacts and implications of viable approaches, identify alternative approaches, achieve resolution
- Ability to work independently and produce results in timely manner
- Demonstrated analytical skills including ability to produce credible reports and documents on a range of related topics
- Ability to effectively participate in relatively ambiguous work situations and structures
- Ability to exercise sensitivity, encouragement, and discretion with customer’s employees to encourage return to work or stay at work
- Ability to work cooperatively with employers, vendors, and clinical specialists to conceptualize, create, implement and evaluate RTW plans for employees
- Understanding and proficient use of system applications, including tools for tracking, documenting and/or diary systems
- Occasional travel possible
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Minimum $20 hourly wage
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available on the first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Plan along with 401K matching to help you plan for your retirement
- Paid Time Off, holiday and leave programs
- Flexible Breaks
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee assistance programs
- Business casual dress code
- Onsite fitness and dining facilities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Employee resource groups with a strong focus on diversity and inclusion
How to apply
Use button below.